Alina Melnikova (b. 1983) has finished her MA-level painting studies at Vilnius Academy of Arts in 2008. The artist had actively contributed to Lithuanian art scene since 2004. She arranged few solo exhibitions in Lithuania and Austria, as well she participated in various group shows in Spain, Finland, Poland, Austria, Estonia and Lithuania. Alina Melnikova was awarded at “Young painters prize ’09” (III place), also the artist received “Sleipnir” scholarship of Nordic Council of Ministers (twice in 2008 and 2007).
A. Melnikova‘s paintings are light, transparent, monochrome colorite. At first glance they seem rather calm and not seeking for attention. But geting a little bit closer they reveal chaotic, intensive world full of strange forms and shapes. Such a painting style is chosen by the artist very consciously and has a tight connection with themes explored.
The artist is interested in the formation of identity and problems of visual pleasure. Taking herself as an object for exploration and development of ideas she manages to reclaim her personal experiences and speak about universal issues often considering social questions connected with construction of identity.
A. Melnikova proficiently combining bold honesty and irony fixates her changing identity in a relationship with other social bodies. She pays attention to gender identity as a main axis for defining yourself. In some paintings the artist explores this idea by playing with stereotypes commonly attached to women: faddiness, extreme emotionality and overbearing irrationality. In other paintings is almost impossible to define the subject by clear notions on gender identity and categories of manliness or femininity.
A. Melnikova avoids strong definitions and prefers to leave a room for confusion. Her paintings work like references inviting to think beyond the framework.
● 2014 Node Center of Curatorial Studies, Curatorial course for artists ‘Expanding Exhibitions: Innovative Approaches to Curating’, Berlin (Germany)
● 2008 Vilnius Academy of Fine Arts, M. A. in Easel Painting, Vilnius (Lithuania)
● 2005 Universidad de Miguel Hernández de Elche, Erasmus semester: Painting, installation and video, Altea (Spain)
● 1996 – 2001 J. Vienožinskis Art School, Vilnius (Lithuania)
● 2016 Lithuanian Culture Council Scholarship to produce painting series: ‘I Shall Get a Coat of a Color of Your Skin’
● 2012 Lithuanian Cultural Ministry Scholarship, for exhibition Location Condition: Beauty and The Beast, Šv. Jonas str Gallery, Vilnius (Lithuania)
● 2009 Young Painter’s Award in Lithuania, Third Prize: ̈I Shall Get You Anyway ̈ (Aš vis tiek tave pasieksiu)
● 2008 SLEIPNIR – Nordic Council of Ministers scholarship: granted to investigate performance art in Finland
● 2007 SLEIPNIR – Nordic Council of Ministers scholarship: art residency finalized with group exhibition and performance
● 2016 September. Berliner Liste Contemporary Art Fair – Solo Show , Berlin (Germany)
● 2016 November. ‘Dare or Dear’ , T rivium gallery, Vilnius (Lithuania)
● 2012 June. ‘Location Condition: Beauty and The Beast’, Šv. Jonas str Gallery, Vilnius (Lithuania)
● 2005 April. ‘Stories in Raum 35’, Gallery Raum 35, Vienna (Austria)
● 2015 December. Group Exhibition, Gallery La Place, Barcelona (Spain)
● 2013 May. ‘From Dusk to Dawn, 20 years of LGBT in Lithuania’, Contemporary Art Center, Vilnius (Lithuania)
● 2012 July. ‘Lithuanian Art: 18 exhibitions’, Contemporary Art Center, Vilnius (Lithuania)
● 2011October.ContemporaryBalticYoungArtists‘Baltikum:TidesofChange’, HangArt7, Salzburg (Austria)
● 2010 August. ‘Inside of You/ Outside of Me/Inside of You’, Gallery 11 Line, Potsdam (Germany)
● 2009 October. ‘New Prospect’ , V artai Gallery, Vilnius (Lithuania)
● 2009 November. ‘Turbulence’, Vilnius City Hall, Vilnius (Lithaunia)
● 2008 September. ‘PasiJos – Kaunas In Art: Contexts ’– Contemporary Art Festival, Architect ́s House Gallery, Kaunas (Lithuania)
● 2008 September. ‘Elephant Bullet’, KUMU Art Museum, Tallinn (Estonia)
● 2008 August . Performance, at Perfo! Club, Tampere (Finland)
● 2008 July. Painting exhibition ‘Carmine’, Tulips & Roses Gallery, Vilnius (Lithuania)
● 2007 June. Contemporary Lithuanian Art Exhibition ‘ANEW’, Municipal Gallery bwa, Bydgoszcz (Poland)
● 2007 October. ‘Familiar painting’, Former Printing House, Vilnius (Lithuania), Katowice (Poland)
● 2007 July. Performance at Tojala’s Performance Festival, Tojala (Finland)
● Since January 2013 – a member of Lithuanian Interdisciplinary Artists’ Asociacion